Monday, September 3, 2012

YEAR TWELVE

WHERE HAVE YOU GONE, SPIDER-SNAKE?

I've wanted to be Spider-Man since I was four.  I've wanted them to make a Spider-Man movie since I knew they could make movies.  I remember the rumors about James Cameron writing a Spidey script and possibly directing it (I read it and thank God THAT never happened) and when I heard they finally found a director and a star, I was immediately disappointed by both.  But hey, once he put on the suit, who cares?

I was on set for SPIDER-MAN for one day as an extra.  It was hell.  I DID get to see the Spidey and Green Goblin costumes while there, however.  And even then it was obvious that the Green Goblin was ridiculous.  (I swear I won't go on a fanboy rant here.)

I watched SPIDER-MAN..... five times?  Six times in the theatre?  Then I got it on DVD that November and would sometimes just watch the splash screen which had a loop of Spider-Man swinging through New York City.  I have issues.

When I went back to visit New York after September 11th, they had just decided to pull the section of the movie that they used in the trailer where Spidey captures a bunch of bank robbers and traps their helicopter in a web between the Twin Towers.  (That trailer still gives me goosebumps....)  In the original poster, there was  close-up of Spider-Man up on a tall building with the Twin Towers reflected in his eyes.  They immediately recalled those and blurred the image.  Which I think is ridiculous.  BUT I found an original in a poster store on Bleecker Street and it hangs in my room to this day.

(this one)

That year, Gram made a great Spider-Man Snakespoon climbing up a wall.  

Unfortunately, nobody knows where it is or where a picture of it can be found.   Alas.  It had batting for webbing and everything.

So here's where you get to use your imagination, kids!  And if we ever find it, I promise to post it for you.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment